Friday, March 27, 2009

New Babies

The early crops are already popping up, and they were planted less than 2 weeks ago. I read on the back of the seeds packages and for the early crops it says "Plant in early spring as soon as ground can be worked'. I figure that if I can scratch a line in the muddy and/or frozen ground to place a line of seeds, then that is the ground being worked. And every year I hear at least a few people saying that 'it's too early, you can't grow anything yet'. Those are the people that I like to take a bowl of salad to in the first week of May. That's about the time they are thinking about what seeds they should buy.

On March
14th I planted my first early crops and by March 24th I had 3 types of lettuce, spinach, peas and radishes visibly growing above the ground. Also, I have my rhubarb and the garlic that I planted last fall coming up. If the weather doesn't take a turn for the worse, then I might be eating salad by the end of April, and just might set a personal record for the earliest salad. My personal best so far was last year, I had my first salad on May 5th.


Here's some new-baby pics:

Asparagus
From 2009 Garden


Sugar Snap peas
From 2009 Garden



One of my 3 varieties of lettuce
From 2009 Garden



Spinach (my favorite!)
From 2009 Garden



Rhubarb
From 2009 Garden


Garlic
From 2009 Garden



Yes, it's early, but many veggies THRIVE when it's early and either are stunted or bolt when it gets hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment