Saturday, August 1, 2009

Sauerkraut-making pictorial

Last year I posted a how-to for making sauerkraut (Here), but I didn't post any pictures. Since I made a new batch of kraut today, I wanted to show some pics of the process.

This was a 13.5 lb cabbage I picked. Honestly, I waited too long to pick it, I should have picked it a week ago.
From More Blog Pics



A big'n, 13.5 lbs. The variety is Late Flat Dutch
From More Blog Pics



Coring the cabbage
From More Blog Pics



Cutting/shredding the cabbage
From More Blog Pics



Shredded cabbage
From More Blog Pics



Work in batches of 5 lbs at a time. Add 3 Tablespoons of CANNING SALT to each 5 lbs of cabbage. Iodized salt(table salt) will discolor the kraut.
From More Blog Pics



Squishing down the cabbage until each batch is covered in its own liquid. I use an inverted flat-bottomed coffee mug that is made of pottery. A glass could break in your hand! There are some tools that are made specifically for squashing down cabbage, but a mug works fine for me.
From More Blog Pics

From More Blog Pics



I use an oven roasting bag with a half-gallon of salt water (3 Tbsp of canning salt to a half-gallon of water) to cover the mixture
From More Blog Pics


Then let it set at room temperature for 4-6 weeks, until no bubbles rise to the top when the side of the crock/bucket is tapped. Then its just a matter of processing in a water-bath canner. See recipe post HERE.

2 comments:

  1. Awesome, I tried this last month but something went wrong and it turned out way bad!! I'll try it again with the bag trick.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jon,
    Use canning salt, never use table salt. Also, cleanliness is next to godliness when canning, fermenting etc. Use CLEAN crocks/buckets, and your cabbage should be fresh, and trimmmed of outer leaves, without 'spotty' leaves. And sometimes there is the X-factor, in other words, I have no clue! Ha!

    ReplyDelete