Thursday, April 23, 2009

Early Garden Progress

We are getting closer to the time when we can plant warm-weather crops here in central Ohio, but we aren't there yet. I was at a local nursery today and wondered how many of the people buying tomato plants were going to be planting them today or very soon. It's always a disaster when they try, more cold is coming sometime between now and the 2nd week of May.

However, I am going to experiment with some early tomatoes, using my Wall-O-Water plastic protectors. I started last year at the beginning of May using them, and they worked great. Now I want to push it up a week and try planting here now during the 4th week of May. I have heard people starting a lot earlier than this using the WOW's but I want to ease my way into it, and experiment with 4 Better Boy plants. I should be planting those tomorrow, and will report on their progress.

As I said in a previous post, I planted some early crops as early as March 10th. I also posted a picture of the spot, though it was bare. So here is the same spot as of yesterday, April 23rd:

From 2009 Garden

Left to right are spinach (Bloomsdale) looseleaf lettuce (Salad Bowl), bibb and romaine lettuce, and radishes. The romaine is from seeds I kept from last year, something I want to do more with other vegetables.


And nearby here are the peas (Sugar Snaps):

From 2009 Garden


So things are growing, thriving so far in the garden. The target date that I set months ago for that first salad is May 1, that might be a bit overambitious. However, the weather forecast shows that it is going to be quite warm between now and then, so we will see.

2 comments:

  1. Hi!!
    your blog is very nice
    we liked your pictures about nature and your love to the earth.

    we are from Chile but we would like you to see our blog, if you understand something.

    :)
    here are some photos too

    http://www.flickr.com/cpe_tierra

    see you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi!!
    your blog is very nice
    we liked your pictures about nature and your love to the earth.

    we are from Chile but we would like you to see our blog, if you understand something.

    :)
    here are some photos too

    http://www.flickr.com/cpe_tierra

    see you!

    ReplyDelete