Thursday, October 23, 2008

Garlic Jelly ??

Every year when I do my canning I like to attempt to make something different, something I have never made before. This year I decided to use some of the incredible amount of garlic that I grew, and make garlic jelly. Yes, it sounds very strange, but it is really good when served with cream cheese and crackers. This is also the way I serve my Hot Pepper Jam, and it is really tasty this way. I'm thinking that it would go well with a plate of bread, cheeses and olives also.

Garlic Jelly Recipe

Ingredients

1/2 cup fresh garlic, finely chopped
2 cups white wine vinegar
5 1/2 cups sugar
3 cups water 1 (2 ounce) package dry pectin
1/4 teaspoon butter or oil
2 drops food coloring (optional)

Directions

Combine garlic& vinegar in a 2 qt. kettle. Simmer mixture gently, uncovered, over medium heat for 15 minutes.
Remove pan from heat& pour mixture into a 1 quart glass jar. Cover& let stand at room temperature for 24-36 hours.
Pour flavored vinegar through a wire strainer into a bowl, pressing the garlic with the back of a spoon to squeeze out liquid. Discard any residue.
Measure the liquid and add vinegar, if needed, to make 1 cup. Measure sugar into a dry bowl. Combine the garlic-vinegar solution& the water in a 5 or 6 quart kettle. Add pectin, stirring well. Over high heat, bring mixture to boil, stirring constantly to avoid scorching. Add sugar,& stir well.
Bring mixture to a full, rolling boil. Add butter to reduce foaming. Continue stirring.
Boil the mixture hard for exactly 2 minutes.
Remove pan from heat& skim off any foam.
Add red, yellow or orange food coloring if desired. Pour jelly into prepared glasses.
Place in boiling water bath canner for 10 minutes.

2 comments:

  1. Hi there ~ I found your delightful blog from a Google search for Garlic Jelly. I was wondering, how much does this recipe make (pints, half pints)? Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi 'Wicked Liz'! Thanks, Im glad you like the blog, its my first attempt at blogging, and need to get some more things posted soon. I've just been so busy with canning and such lately.
    Im sorry I forgot to put the yield when I posted this, from what I remember it only made about 5 half-pints. Dopey me cant find the original written recipe, but I think it's 5 cups.

    ReplyDelete