Thursday, December 25, 2008

Homemade Butter

“As for butter versus margarine, I trust cows more than chemists.”

I got another wild idea, to make my own butter. This was easy, but I still managed to make a big mess in the kitchen because I had a brain cramp.
Pour 2 cups of heavy whipping cream into your stand mixer or food processor, I have a KitchenAid stand mixer (ok, it's really my girlfriend Sue's but she keeps it here at my place.) Using the paddle I mixed it on medium speed for about 10-15 minutes. At this point I added a couple teaspoons of salt, just to the point where I liked it.
Here's where I goofed up. The cream starts to thicken, the whey comes out of the cream, and butter starts to form. If you aren't careful, or in the next room as I was, it starts splashing whey all over the kitchen counter. What a mess. If I were in the room at the time, I would have just turned the mixer to a slower speed while the butter was forming.
I turned off the mixer, and drained off the liquid. Then I lined a collander with paper towels and ran the butter under cold water until the liquid became clear. Then I placed paper towels into the collander and let the butter sit for a while to dry out. I chilled it in the fridge for a few minutes, then gently squeezed the butter wrapped in paper towels. Forming it into a brick/log gave it a nice look and I placed it in the refrigerator.

No comments:

Post a Comment